The 18th Nakshatra, i.e. Jyeshta Nakshatra.
Let’s cover Jyeshta Nakshatra based on following points –
Sign and Degree
Name and its meaning
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord
Prominence of a Nakshatra
Various interpretations of Jyeshta Nakshatra
Let’s cover all points one after the other –
Sign and Degree – Jyeshta Nakshatra falls within 16.40 degree to 30.00 degree of Scorpio. So, Jyeshta Nakshatra also falls totally into Scorpio sign.
Name and its meaning – Jyeshta literally means or can be translated into The Eldest or The Senior Most.
Representation – Jyeshta is represented by Round Talisman which directly links this nakshatra with mysticism. Its alternate symbol is Umbrella.
Activation Age - Besides dashas and planetary maturity ages, another way of activating a planet is activation age of nakshatra it is sitting in. Jyeshta Nakshatra activates itself at the ages of 6th, 7th, 8th, 24th, 27th, 28th & 36th year of age.
Deity, Nakshatra Lord & Sign Lord – Deity of Jyeshta is Indra. As Jyeshta is about The Eldest, it is apt that the King of Gods Indra becomes its Deity. Jyeshta's lord is Mercury. Sign lords are Mars-Ketu.
Mythological Story – Jyeshta's mythological story is most interesting and in a way, it represents all the traits or characteristics of Jyeshta Nakshatra. So, in introductory article for Nakshatra series (https://www.astrosaxena.com/intronaksh), we have seen that all these 27 nakshatras are nothing but 27 sisters. The eldest among them is Jyeshta. Now, Moon was married to all these sisters but he had special affection towards Rohini. So, Moon used to spend more time with Rohini and used to ignore other wives of his. This made all other sisters feel neglected and jealous of Rohini. They all went to the eldest among them, i.e. Jyeshta to complain about it. Jyeshta then laid down the rules and regulations for Moon that as a husband, he is supposed to spend same time with all his wives. Hence, Jyeshta allotted one day for Moon to spend with one wife. That's why, Moon transits in 1 nakshatra in 1 day. Now, this story has all the traits of Jyeshta which we will further see.
Prominence of a Nakshatra – Now, throughout this series, whenever we say about a nakshatra being prominent in a chart, it means it is either ascendant nakshatra, Sun nakshatra, Moon nakshatra or 2 or more planets are placed in 1 nakshatra, Understand that a nakshatra is only 13 degree 20 minutes long and if even 2 planets are there within that range then it is huge energy accumulation. It will make that nakshatra related things important in person’s life.
Various interpretations of Jyeshta Nakshatra – Now, here are some of the interpretations of Jyeshta Nakshatra we can take as per the things discussed above –
- As the Jyeshta word itself means The Eldest one or The Senior Most one, this nakshatra has a trait of being proud or egoistic in behaviour. Eldest or Senior Most person will always keep some proud feeling with himself. If not the eldest, they can be easily the most matured person in group.
- Rulership of Indra is also the reason why, they like to be on high social standings.
- As it is represented by Round Talisman, it is most directly connected with Occult or Mystical side of life among all nakshatras. Not to forget that it is part of Scorpio sign too and Scorpio's mystical energy gets its best manifestation through Jyeshta.
- The alternate symbol of Umbrella also shows a person of high authority as in ancient times authoritative people always used to walk with a servant holding umbrella for them.
- Umbrella symbol also represents a divine shelter or protection due to mystical power one gets through this nakshatra.
- As it is ruled by Mercury, it becomes one of the Gandamool Nakshatra and its Gandanta Point can bring big emotional issues as Scorpio is anyways sign of Moon's debilitation.
- Then as all the sisters were Jealous of Rohini, these people tend to develop jealousy for others on the basis of what others have and what they don't have.
- As Jyeshta laid down rules & regulations for Moon, these people can be very good at making things fair and aligned for everyone. They can be good people manager.
- Most of the people I met with Jyeshta prominent are in administrative work and they work towards keeping things orderly and manageable for all, just like the way Jyeshta managed things.
- Story also links them to work for neglected or ignored group of people and work towards an environment which is fair and justifiable to all.
- Overall, it is a nakshatra of people who can deep dive into occult & mystical side of life and who can work for the fairness & justice to all.
Conclusion – So, this is some basic information and interpretation of Jyeshta Nakshatra. Also, with Jyeshta we come to end of 2nd set of 9 nakshatras from Magha Nakshatra ruled by Ketu to Jyeshta Nakshatra ruled by Mercury. With next article, we will have last set of 9 nakshatras starting from Moola Nakshatra again ruled by Ketu.
Hope this helps. Please post any comment or query you may have.
Vishal S Saxena – Astrologer